Residents of Canaan may register their recreational vehicle at the Town Office and online.
Residency Requirements: No person may be considered a resident of the State of Maine (as it relates to obtaining a resident vehicle registration) if the person has not:
· If registered to vote, registered in the State of Maine
· If licensed to drive, made application for a Maine drivers license;
· If owning a vehicle located within the state, registered vehicles in Maine
· Complied with State Income Tax laws and
· If a full time student, at a Maine college for 3 months AND satisfies above requirements.
If a boat, snowmobile, or ATV is purchased from a private person, please bring an old registration if available. It contains all the information needed to do a new registration. If an old registration is not available, please provide the number affixed to the side of the vehicle and the serial numbers. If there is an old registration sticker, get the year of expiration and sticker number. A bill of sale is also required.
If a recreational vehicle is purchased from a dealership, proof of sales tax paid is required for the registration. This is usually on your purchase agreement or bill of sale.
New Snowmobile registrations are $57.00 plus sales tax if private sale. Re-Registering $56.00 (includes agent fees).
New ATV registrations are $72.00. Re-Registering $71.00 (includes agent fees).
Registrations expire June 30th of each year.